Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bon Soir "Bon Voyage"

Not up for French class tonight I compensated by renting the 2003 Jean-Paul Rappeneau film "Bon Voyage" starring Isabelle Adjani, Gerard Depardieu, Virginie Ledoyen, Gregori (hubba hubba) Derangere (do an image search on google and you'll agree) and Peter Cayote (speaking French and German).

Cinema Sublime

The thing about good movies is that they immediately prompt me to want to share (it was all I could do not to pause the film, call friends and loved ones and shout "go rent this movie NOW" maintenant, je dis!

40's luxury, romanticism, World War 2 intrigue, and a deft comic flair (simultaneously making fun of and celebrating it's characters), the film is pure escapist confection and hit me just right.

The 77% it gets on Rotten Tomatoes dot com features grumples from critics tsk-tsking the movie from having fun during the Nazi era. I argue that the movie affectionately processes and morally respects the gravity of those times. Not all WW2 films need to be "Sophie Scholl." This one's for those who love cinema with sweep and flair (and pretty people in period costumes). Okay, so couples working for the resistance couldn't really escape the pursuit of officerd demanding papers in occupied France by dashing into a movie house and making out through the patrons' smoke and the projectors' flicker, but it's a nice dream, je crois.

On another note, Nat called me during the film to say that I should start blogging about our workouts, so for those readers interested in hearing about "my name is Nat DeWolf and I yell at Paul when he can't hold the plank position for an hour" stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home